If your business runs on a direct-to-consumer model, you might have come across text messaging as one of the most effective direct response marketing channels. Indeed, Text or SMS marketing has been a niche channel for a long time, but thanks to wider access, more businesses, including B-to-B are now discovering the substantial benefits of using Text in place or in conjunction with email marketing.
What is TEXT marketing?
Before we dive in, let’s look into the meaning behind text marketing acronyms and what they mean:
- SMS stands for “short message service”.
- MMS stands for “multimedia messaging service” (texts that include images, gifs, or videos etc.).
- RCS stands for “rich communications service” which is a new and evolving technology designed to eventually replace SMS & MMS.
How powerful is Text Messaging in 2020?
Text marketing in 2020, is at its peak. There’s no better way to demonstrate that, than to go over data points together:
1. Text or SMS messages have a whopping 98% open rate.
When it comes to engagement, SMS marketing is king. With Email and social media being saturated, SMS marketing, on the other hand, drives 20x more engagement.
2. Text or SMS messages have a 209% higher response rate than phone, email, or Facebook.
You can expect that up to a 30% response rate to your Text messaging campaigns, and that 1 out of 2 responders, or a solid 15% conversion rate average.
3. 90% of Text messages are read within 3 minutes.
The average American checks their phone 47 times a day, with that many opportunities to get your message in front of your audience, Text messaging is an instant direct response marketing channel.
4. Only 10% of Text marketing messages are spam, compared to nearly 50% of emails.
Consumers are getting more and more sceptical about branded emails, most of them don’t even make it to the inbox (filtered away to spam/promotions messages inbox).